- Should we stop worrying about the environmental impact of flying? Guardian journalist Leo Hickman discusses the argument put forward by Dr. Grischa Perino that under the new EU emissions trading scheme, reducing your intake of red meat may be ‘greener’ than voluntarily not taking a flight within the EU.
- I Am A Self-Hating Member Of The Afro-Diaspora. And Proud. A satirical view of the current buzz around a ‘rising’ Africa.
- Waging War on the Poor: New Internationalist documents how the demonisation of the poor is endemic to both the developed and developing world.
Building a slower, longer fire among the digital flares. Al Jazeera comments on the surge of self-immolation incidents in Tibet, and how this form of extreme protest compares to the more recent trend of digital activism.
- 15-minute writing exercise closes the gender gap in university-level physics Findings from study suggest that introducing a simple reflexive exercise could be the key to closing the gender gap in physics, and outlines the implications of the findings for similar demographic disparities across the education system.
- Bankers Anonymous The latest campaign against food speculation from WDM. Oh, how I wish all campaigns could be this snarky.
- Notes from the field: Last day of field work in Mozambique Nicholas Hess writes of his time working with ORAM in Mozambique, and provides an interesting account of what land grabs look like at the human level.